Women of Color at Law Firms Still Face Challenges
- A greater sense of "outsider status" and limited growth opportunities
- Racial and gender stereotyping and more feelings of sexism in the workplace compared with white women
- Lack of access to high-profile client assignments and important client engagements
- Missed opportunities for candid feedback
- Include senior leaders as active players in building and establishing inclusive workplaces.
- Raise awareness of intersectionality and the varying needs of differing minority groups.
- Create opportunities for dialogue between firm leadership and women of color attorneys.
- Educate all attorneys, especially partners and other supervising attorneys, on how to recognize bias and stereotyping of women of color in the workplace.
- Monitor and track the career development of women of color and hold leaders accountable for their advancement.