Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Americans and Poverty
- After comparing families with similar characteristics, gay and lesbian couple families are significantly more likely to be poor than are heterosexual married couple families.
- In general, lesbian couples have much higher poverty rates than either different-sex couples or gay male couples.
- African-Americans in same-sex couples have poverty rates that are significantly higher than Black people in different-sex married couples.
- People in same-sex couples who live in rural areas have poverty rates that are twice as high as same-sex couples who live in large metropolitan areas.
- Employment discrimination, lack of access to marriage and a greater likelihood of being uninsured exacerbate poverty among LGB people.